• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SMS - Hangouts not displaying name...only number

Anyone know if this issue finally got fixed?

I quit Hangouts around a year ago and switched to Android Messenger. That experience has been perfect and seamless. But I miss having desktop SMS, so I'm considering trying Hangouts again.

You would still have to use Android Messages for SMS as Hangouts no longer supports SMS, sadly. As far as IM/Chat you can still use Hangouts on the phone and desktop

Upvote 0
You would still have to use Android Messages for SMS as Hangouts no longer supports SMS, sadly. As far as IM/Chat you can still use Hangouts on the phone and desktop

Sorry, I was unclear.
I'm on Project Fi. So apparently I can still use Hangouts for SMS, if I want to (even though, yes, they've disabled SMS in Hangouts for other carriers).
So, I guess my hope for Google fixing the SMS name display issue (this whole thread was about that) depends on how much they really want to support SMS in Hangouts just for Project Fi users...

Still, anyone know if the issue was ever fixed?

Upvote 0
I experienced this problem. I believe reason for it is Hangouts lacks permission to read your Google Contacts. The solution was to clear Hangouts data, uninstall updates to Hangouts, then reinstall updates. After this, the first time you run Hangouts it will prompt for Contacts permission. Grant it, and within a minute or two your contacts will sync and the problem will be gone.

Upvote 0
I was having the same problem on both my phone AND computer. The problem started when I reset my phone to factory conditions and started over. For my computer, I solved it by uninstalling the extension and installing the App. For easier access, I right clicked on the app from Google Chrome Apps and told it to make shortcuts on my desktop and menu. The menu shortcut didn't work (I'm on Linux) but the desktop did. So, I just edited the .desktop file, copied the command, edited the menu entry and pasted the correct command. I have no idea why Google Chrome thought a different command was needed in the menu.

For the phone, I had previously cleared data without success. I went into Hangouts -> Settings and clicked on each account listed there, signing out of each one, until none of the accounts were signed into Hangouts.

I then searched for Hangouts in the Play Store, uninstalled the dialer (maybe not necessary) and uninstalled the Hangouts Updates (as suggested in the post just above and others). It's not possible to fully uninstall Hangouts. I reinstalled hangouts and opened, but it did not ask for any permissions. However, some phone numbers had names. From here, I archived those phone numbers without names. Then, for the first time ever, when I clicked the + to send another text and typed a name, it showed up! I sent a text, and the name showed up along with the full history of the conversation from before I archived it. I also reinstalled the dialer.

Upvote 0
The way that fixed this for me; is to go into the settings for your device, then click "cloud and accounts" (for the samsung galaxy s8+) yours may be a little different, click on Google Account - you should then see a list of things that can be synced. Simply untoggle and toggle the "contacts" sync; that should fix this issue. It just worked for me, for some reason, it was working then stopped working, but this ultimately fixed this issue for me - all contacts in hangouts now show names - not just phone numbers.

Upvote 0
Check your phone settings under the Google Hangouts app and make sure you give Hangouts permission to access your contacts.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171223-162727.png
    Screenshot_20171223-162727.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 275
  • Screenshot_20171223-162723.png
    Screenshot_20171223-162723.png
    46 KB · Views: 281
  • Screenshot_20171223-162712.png
    Screenshot_20171223-162712.png
    50.3 KB · Views: 241
  • Screenshot_20171223-162659.png
    Screenshot_20171223-162659.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 262
  • Screenshot_20171223-162647.png
    Screenshot_20171223-162647.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 234
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones