• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Southern Seasonings

I'm a fan of Old Bay to season my fish batter. I can't say I've tried either of the other two. How Southern are you talkin, boy? :) I'm a huge fan of Cajun seasoning. I've tried many brands and they all have a different take of the seasoning. I've found that cayenne will set most of them on the right path for my liking. I've yet to try Slap Ya Mama. My son loves the seasoning but my local store doesn't carry it. I'll have to grab some at Walmart the next time I have to go there.

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
Upvote 0
My son mentioned that he has taken to adding some Slap Ya Mama to his rub mix. I'd never heard of it before that. He mentioned it again this week about adding some zip to the sliders he made while entertaining last weekend. We talked the product and I told him I had looked for it at my Kroger store.
He said he buys his at Walmart but was pretty sure the super Kroger had it as well. I'm interested in trying all but the low sodium version.

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
Upvote 0
i have a huge cabinet full of spices. i like to make my own spice if i can help it. i have some montreal seasoning as well as Lawry's seasoning. but that is about it. i am trying to find a good indian spice place. i love me some curry....and there is nothing better than using fresh spices versus some store bought blend of curry.

and its the same thing with bbq sauce......i rather make my own.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bought some Slap Ya Mama at Walmart today. They only had the original blend

Attachments

• slapmama.jpg
    slapmama.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: olbriar and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I was going to type the exact same thing. My walmart only had the original. I had to taste in once I got home. It's legit! I likely have three or four Cajun seasonings in my spice cabinet. I have tried other brands as well. There is only one brand that I think had a bit more POW factor without being bitter and they quit making it or I can't find it. It's been so long now that I don't recall the maker or even for certain where I bought it. Slap Ya Mama will be my go to going forward.

Reactions: AugieTN
I took some hot salsa that was less than hot and added some diced jalapenos and some velveeta cheese and zapped it in the microwave. It was still bland so I added more than I intended Slap Ya Mama to it. Not only did it add some flavor, I think the salt in it woke up the jalapenos. :) I broke out in a sweat while eating the queso with some chips. Good stuff!

• Haha
Speaking of salt, I've been using Slap Ya Mama on a lot of different things. I've found it's a bit too salty for me. Years ago my doctor suggested I cut down on my salt intake in an attempt to lower my blood pressure. I pretty much eliminated the spice from my foods. Since that time, I lean heavily on pepper and use very little salt. A little bit of salt seems very salty to me now. My son suggested I put the SYM in a larger shaker and add the other ingredients to it to make it seem less salty to me. I've yet to follow through but I plan to do just that. It's a great spice but with a less salt ratio should make it perfect for me.

I was making a Costco shopping list and a big bag of cashews is on my list. I'm out of cold smoked cashews and need to do another batch. I plan on using a new recipe to spice my cashews. If you guessed Slap Ya Mama you guessed right. I'm thinking a bit more cayenne pepper added to the Slap Ya Mama could make a great coating for the nuts. We shall see...

Upvote 0
I likely will the next time I'm needing some. However, if I'm ordering, I might get the jalapeno Slap Ya Mama. :) I wish they sold their spice in smaller shakers. That's a lot of spice if you don't like it. My son was telling my that he recently deviled some eggs with Slap Ya Mama. I have to have salt on my boiled eggs. I might have to give that a go.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones