• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

TV Shows?

I love all the old Westerns , Lawman , Rifleman, The Big Valley, Pondarosa , Stage Coach and Gunsmoke to.
Me too... grew up on them. Bonanza, Branded, Death Valley Days, The Rebel, High Chaparral, Cheyenne Bodie, Maverick, Bat Masterson, Wyatt Earp, Wagon Train, Gunsmoke... I know there are more. Loved them all.

Upvote 0
They brought back a show called Fringe and i been watching it on the weekends because that's the only time they play it..... it interrupts with my NASCAR though.
Speaking of NASCAR, I’ve been watching the movie “Blink of an Eye” which focuses on the relationship between Michael Waltrip and Dale Earnhardt. Very well done, if you haven’t seen, I’d strongly recommend.

Upvote 0
Speaking of NASCAR, I’ve been watching the movie “Blink of an Eye” which focuses on the relationship between Michael Waltrip and Dale Earnhardt. Very well done, if you haven’t seen, I’d strongly recommend.

Is it better than Days of Thunder(1990. Written by Tom Cruise, directed by Tom Cruise, and starring Tom Cruise).

Upvote 0
As for westerns, while I was able to actually buy My Darling Clementine (starring Henry Fonda) on iTunes, I was unable to find The Rifleman (a favorite) on any platform. The only results had nothing to do with the series starring Chuck Conners. It's on MeTV so you'd think it'd be available as a digital purchase. Couldn't get Bonanza or Wagon Train either. I just want to wach those series from beginning to end, as the father/son dynamic of The Rifleman for example builds over the series. All MeTV does is air random episodes. One day it's Season one, the next season four. Same with any of their shows really, plus they're all edited for content to make room for the more frequent commercial breaks.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
That is my reaction to any series that only has 9 episodes per season (which is most modern content today) and you then have to wait two years and hope either Netflix or Amazon Prime get off their lazy ass and make another. After two of my favorite series on Netflix never got finished (Away and Sweet Tooth) I gave up and cancelled. I think I waited an eternity for Orville season 3 which never came, as well.

Starting to really despise this trend of short seasons, especially with binge watching being more the norm. The shows are over in a day or two, with over a year (if they even continue) to wait. I used to think the 6 months wait was bad!

Currently in a vintage show theme here. The Waltons, Alice, and Green Acres to name three. more than 30 episodes per season too. No waiting.

Upvote 0
People often look at my very out of date LCD TVs and remark 'ya know there's this new thing called 4K that's out and you should try it' knowing most of my TVs are not newer than 2011 and therefore 720p only. But my response is 'but 90% of my library is black and white, and the rest are not remastered for HD, much less 4K, be them physical purchases or digital, and likely won't ever be, like Babylon 5 and Farscape, still forever stuck in 480i and a 4:3 aspect ratio. I'm just not fond of new or modern shows, and the only things that actually seem available in HD/Widescreen are some of my movies. People think I should just stop watching excellent classic TV and start binging crap like Young Sheldon or Game of Thrones, which I have zero interest in.

I still can't get over the reality that my cousins have never heard of Lassie. I mean it was well before my time as well...but every child grows up with watching Lassie like they do the Wizard Of Oz. It's a rite of passage for a young child...Never having heard of Lassie might as well be a child who has never heard of baseball.

Upvote 0
People often look at my very out of date LCD TVs and remark 'ya know there's this new thing called 4K that's out and you should try it' knowing most of my TVs are not newer than 2011 and therefore 720p only. But my response is 'but 90% of my library is black and white, and the rest are not remastered for HD, much less 4K, be them physical purchases or digital, and likely won't ever be, like Babylon 5 and Farscape, still forever stuck in 480i and a 4:3 aspect ratio.
I don't miss the 4:3 aspect ratio at all (I do have old shows that were recorded in that format, but I doubt anyone would have chosen it if there had been a choice). However it was very obvious that the push for HD TV was to allow manufacturers to sell larger sets, since large + low res looks like crap unless you are sitting a long way from it. For my size of set and room 1080p is better than 720p but there would be no advantage in 4k or higher, so I just ignore all of that.
I still can't get over the reality that my cousins have never heard of Lassie. I mean it was well before my time as well...but every child grows up with watching Lassie like they do the Wizard Of Oz. It's a rite of passage for a young child...Never having heard of Lassie might as well be a child who has never heard of baseball.
Lassie was shown in the UK when I was a kid, but I doubt it's been shown for a long time now. I have seen the Wizard of Oz, but can't say I ever thought of it as something that's central to childhood. But things change, and if they didn't people wouldn't even have watched those programmes/films because they'd have been reading Victorian children's books instead. Few aspects of culture are static, popular culture even less so, and that's fine.

That is my reaction to any series that only has 9 episodes per season (which is most modern content today) and you then have to wait two years and hope either Netflix or Amazon Prime get off their lazy ass and make another. After two of my favorite series on Netflix never got finished (Away and Sweet Tooth) I gave up and cancelled. I think I waited an eternity for Orville season 3 which never came, as well.

Starting to really despise this trend of short seasons, especially with binge watching being more the norm. The shows are over in a day or two, with over a year (if they even continue) to wait. I used to think the 6 months wait was bad!
I don't know wholly agree. The long seasons that were typical of US productions can be fine where each episode is self-contained, but drama series telling a single story often felt like they had been stretched and padded to make up the episode count. There were exceptions, but there's no merit to length in and of itself if the content doesn't require it.

Of course there are cultural differences here: on my side of the Pond drama series have typically been 3-12 episodes, with 20+ episode series being very rare (and even my favourites of those I've often felt contained some padding). A typical sitcom series (what you call a "season") would be 6 episodes. So what you decry as "short" feels normal to me.

But related to this there is another difference, which is presumably related to the length of season: in the US shows have often been screened while later episodes were still being recorded, which can result in pressure for rewrites based on audience reactions or even cancellation before the season is completed. Over here filming and production of TV series is completed before the first episode airs ((though radio series, where there is less production needed, do sometimes start broadcast before recording has finished). I would guess that with many streaming productions making all episodes available at once that streaming productions will work more this way.

Last edited:
Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
I don't understand how you deal with the literally years-long wait between seasons since seasons are so short where you are, Hadron. I mean, at one point during football season, possibly to make time for the games always pre-empting other content, a show will wrap up its season in the fall, and the next season would begin in Spring, right around the time March Madness ended. That meant 6 months between seasons, often during non-sports times, shows might rerun the last season until then, for those who missed it at the time. That 30 plus episodes lasted a long time, and helped with the wait. It allowed a show to flesh out its story arc, see Babylon 5 and many soap operas. Otherwise it would have ended with a ton of open plots never finished. Would work for a show that doesn't have a continual story arc, such as a sitcom, but not a real franchise such as Star Trek.

But waiting more than a year is unnacceptable, and in some lame attempt to homogenize the USA to follow some arbritrary EU standard, we are now falling victim to super short series that you might lose a day to watch, but wait two plus years for next season. Reruns then aren't as valuable as there's literally 9 43 minute episodes. That really doesn't last long. But that long wait might be for naught since many shows on Netflix are just forgotten, such as Away, still waiting for season 2. Has been two years.

I cannot stand shows with the wrong language + subtitles. I fall victim to the same problem that I dealt with when my grandparents would watch with mute on and closed captioning (they literally were deaf) which was I'd spend more time trying to read the text and keep up with it over seeing the content. My eyes are just inclined to read words on the screen and ignore the rest, and words can't convey emotion that well. Imagine you're watching a foreign anime and instead of the song lyrics, you just get to read '[music]'. doesn't quite work. Plus hearing a foreign language you cannot understand is like hearing Simlish on a Sims game. Annoying after 5 minutes.

Upvote 0
I don't understand how you deal with the literally years-long wait between seasons since seasons are so short where you are, Hadron. I mean, at one point during football season, possibly to make time for the games always pre-empting other content, a show will wrap up its season in the fall, and the next season would begin in Spring, right around the time March Madness ended. That meant 6 months between seasons, often during non-sports times, shows might rerun the last season until then, for those who missed it at the time. That 30 plus episodes lasted a long time, and helped with the wait. It allowed a show to flesh out its story arc, see Babylon 5 and many soap operas. Otherwise it would have ended with a ton of open plots never finished. Would work for a show that doesn't have a continual story arc, such as a sitcom, but not a real franchise such as Star Trek.

But waiting more than a year is unnacceptable, and in some lame attempt to homogenize the USA to follow some arbritrary EU standard, we are now falling victim to super short series that you might lose a day to watch, but wait two plus years for next season. Reruns then aren't as valuable as there's literally 9 43 minute episodes. That really doesn't last long. But that long wait might be for naught since many shows on Netflix are just forgotten, such as Away, still waiting for season 2. Has been two years.

I cannot stand shows with the wrong language + subtitles. I fall victim to the same problem that I dealt with when my grandparents would watch with mute on and closed captioning (they literally were deaf) which was I'd spend more time trying to read the text and keep up with it over seeing the content. My eyes are just inclined to read words on the screen and ignore the rest, and words can't convey emotion that well. Imagine you're watching a foreign anime and instead of the song lyrics, you just get to read '[music]'. doesn't quite work. Plus hearing a foreign language you cannot understand is like hearing Simlish on a Sims game. Annoying after 5 minutes.
Seriously as an anime fan of myself, sometimes watching Subs does help when reading the English subtext throughout a ton, even watching some movies duration of reading the tex too, it isn't like you are in control of the Foley stage right? And you hear a word you do not know what they are saying right? Take the time inside the consideration of others sometimes, and not be a cranky 40 year old man.

Upvote 0
Anime for me is mostly Studio Ghibli stuff, and Hayao Miyasaki did an excellent job finding good actors who could do English dubs quite nicely. There's room for more than one language, you know. We don't and shouldn't have to limit selection especially in a more diverse society. Having many movies with only the Japanese language audio and being forced as an English or other speaking language to read subtitles on the screen doesn't work the same, and is no less offensive than people who complain about Mexicans in America not speaking English.

Upvote 0
Anime for me is mostly Studio Ghibli stuff, and Hayao Miyasaki did an excellent job finding good actors who could do English dubs quite nicely. There's room for more than one language, you know. We don't and shouldn't have to limit selection especially in a more diverse society. Having many movies with only the Japanese language audio and being forced as an English or other speaking language to read subtitles on the screen doesn't work the same, and is no less offensive than people who complain about Mexicans in America not speaking English.
You are right on the cue though,sometimes it takes some time and trainning with different language barrier gaps and correct sometimes annoucinations through that perfect moment, heck I bug people who do not know how intelligent I am hahahaaa....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones