• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Virus alerts on my Samsung Galaxy S20

metroidRoid2

Sep 30, 2017
Picture attached. Are these virus alerts real or a scam?

How do I get rid of these?

Attachments

• Virus alerts.png
    Virus alerts.png
    206.6 KB · Views: 26
what app are you using? is it from guranters?

if so, then its a scam. i would uninstall anything from them.

Upvote 0
so there really is no need for anti virus software on an android phone. the only thing you need to be careful is what you download and install on your phone. i have been using android since its inception. i don't use and such software and i have never had anything such issues with virus or malware.

check to see if you have macafee installed or not. if you do, i would delete it. if you feel that something nefarious is going on, i would backup all of your data, change your passwords and setup two step verification where you can, and then hard reset your phone.

Last edited:
so there really is no need for anti virus software on an android phone. the only thing you need to be careful is what you download and install on your phone. i have been using android since its inception. i don't use and such software and i have never had anything such issues with virus or malware.

check to see if you have macafee installed or not. if you do, i would delete it. if you feel you something nefarious is going on, i would backup all of your data, change your passwords and setup two step verification where you can, and then hard reset your phone.
I did a search on McAfee and nothing came up.

These virus notifications came up after I visited some website (I can't remember which one). I don't recall entering a password there so it seems like these notifications came up just by visiting that website, so I'm thinking that my passwords may not be compromised.

How do you set up 2 step verification?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I did a search on McAfee and nothing came up.

These virus notifications came up after I visited some website (I can't remember which one). I don't recall entering a password there so it seems like these notifications came up just by visiting that website, so I'm thinking that my passwords may not be compromised.

How do you set up 2 step verification?
ok so these are website malware which is a good thing in a way. i would close your browser and wipe the browser's cache and data as well.

2 step verification will depend if the app or accounts that you have, offers one.

Upvote 0
So, like when are you getting these alerts? Or is there an app that you are using that is showing this? This is most likely from a rogue app that was recently installed or from a website.
As stated, clear the cache and data from your browser, reboot and see if it still happens.
Moving forward, I would also install an ad blocker from the play store or something like Adguard, from their website, adguard.com and install it from there. I use Adguard and never any issues such as this.

Upvote 0
When I click on any of those messages about a virus I get the attached pic.

Should I click on SCAN in the attached pic? I don't remember installing McAfee on my Samsung Galaxy S20.

"Customuze"

Incorrect spelling is always indicative of a scam. This is NOT McAfee, do NOT install it.

Upvote 0
So, like when are you getting these alerts? Or is there an app that you are using that is showing this? This is most likely from a rogue app that was recently installed or from a website.
As stated, clear the cache and data from your browser, reboot and see if it still happens.
Moving forward, I would also install an ad blocker from the play store or something like Adguard, from their website, adguard.com and install it from there. I use Adguard and never any issues such as this.
I cleared the browser's cache and restarted the phone. I am still getting those notifications about the virus.

Then I searched for 'reset' and selected 'Reset all settings' and I'm still getting these notifications.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Then do a factory reset

I just did this. I guess this was the only way.

On my laptop, I go to that website called 'Smart Things Find' for Samsung which can locate your phone. I'm testing it, but when I click 'track location' it's not connecting to my phone for some reason. After running for a while, eventually it says 'tracking stopped.'

Any idea what is going on here?

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones