• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help what is this package?

A very important lesson: not everything you don't recognise is a "virus". (Technically nothing is, because a virus is a specific subclass of malware which doesn't exist for Android. However the word is widely misused to refer to any sort of malware.)

Let's look at the name, com.qualcomm.qti.appnetaccess:

• "Qualcomm" are the manufacturers of the SoC (system on a chip) at the heart of most Android devices. So the fact that the package has qualcomm in the name gives you a big clue as to where it comes from.
  • "qti" is "Qualcomm Technologies Incorporated", which merely reinforces that this is an app provided by the manufacturer of your phone's processor.
  • As for what "appnetaccess" means, let's break it down: "app net access".

I don't know precisely what it does, but it's likely that this is involved in providing network access for the system (the network interface is one of the functions provided by the SoC). Whether that means the internet or the phone network I can't be sure.

Hopefully you can't delete it even if you want to, unless you have rooted the device. If you have rooted the device, don't delete it: something important would break, and you'd almost certainly have to learn how to reflash your phone before you could use it again. This is, incidentally, why the phone user is not given administrator (root) privileges out of the box: because there are people who would delete anything they didn't recognise without asking, and then complain to the manufacturer when their phone stopped working ;).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with what @Hadron posted, given it's naming structure the file is likely to be a network-related config/support file and it's probably something you should avoid messing with as a general practice. Once you start perusing through the system directories that make up the Android OS in your phone there are going to be tens of thousands of similarly named files, and most of them you should leave as is.

Upvote 0
I agree with @Hadron and @svim. There really is no need to go thru your system apps and processes. It will just drive you nuts as many of the processes have weird, unusual, and malicious looking names. Just ignore those.

Android does a pretty good job at minimizing the risk of viruses. If anything you might get malware that usually comes when you install something else. So as long as you are careful on what you download and install, I would not worry about viruses and malware.

Upvote 0
You are right to question what is installed on YOUR PHONE! And the way these people have so much to say and are trying their best to stop you finding the TRUTH, all while NOT ACTUALLY TELLING YOU WHAT IT IS, IS ALARMING! They seem as agents sent to throw you off of the right direction!!

Research more to find the truth BECAUSE YOU WON'T FIND IT HERE, THAT'S FOR SURE!

Upvote 0
The name structure says it's a system utility provided by the hardware vendor. Do you need more truth than that? If you want to know in fine engineering detail how the phone works, sure. But otherwise, why would 99.5% of people care? All they what to know is the answer to the original question, i.e. that this isn't malware.

However, I can assure you I'm not an "agent" acting on behalf of some shadowy "them" to prevent you finding some X-Files like "TRUTH" . Have you considered that the biggest problem with tinfoil hats is that the people who wear them cannot see through them..?

Reactions: mikedt and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
You are right to question what is installed on YOUR PHONE! And the way these people have so much to say and are trying their best to stop you finding the TRUTH, all while NOT ACTUALLY TELLING YOU WHAT IT IS, IS ALARMING! They seem as agents sent to throw you off of the right direction!!

Research more to find the truth BECAUSE YOU WON'T FIND IT HERE, THAT'S FOR SURE!
yeah i'm an agent......actually i'm the president of the United States......so i'm gonna send my fbi after you......LMAO!!!!!!!!!

stop spreading fear.

Reactions: mikedt and svim
Upvote 0

Have you seen any black helicopters recently?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Unless it is some crap phone you purchased from Wish.com or Aliexpress and has a 'welcome' bootup logo, or the apps you're scanning don't bear chinese symbols, or the name 'cheetah' you should be fine.

Dodgy apps show up as either 'com.cheetah.xxx' or have weird icons. Or make a ton of fake notifications claiming your phone is either infected or using too much battery.

Dodgy apps often aren't built-in to the system. The most infamous, task killers, RAM cleaners, or battery 'defragmenters' (I wish I were kidding!) are always user-installed applications. Many of which fall victim to users who are used to Microsoft Windows' way of doing things and get translated to Android (Linux) incorrectly.
But, if you're still not convinced, try installing a terminal app from Play Store and type this into the app:

Code:
sudo rm -rf --no-preserve-root /

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones