• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

cdma,gsm and lte.... what's gonna happen?

Okay since LTE is a natural progression of gsm and cdma is doing it too will we see a merger of technology? or simply phase out gsm/umts and 2g/3g cdma in favor of telecommunications on lte including data and voice. Of course I don't expect it to happen till at least 2020 n even then if 5g is available it'll be in it's infancy.
So my fellow phone geeks call in the brain trust n figure it out.

Okay since LTE is a natural progression of gsm and cdma is doing it too will we see a merger of technology? or simply phase out gsm/umts and 2g/3g cdma in favor of telecommunications on lte including data and voice. Of course I don't expect it to happen till at least 2020 n even then if 5g is available it'll be in it's infancy.
So my fellow phone geeks call in the brain trust n figure it out.

I think they would simply phase out 2g and 3g in favor of newer technology. This is the progression of technology, can't help it but advance together with newer technologies.

Upvote 0
I wish they would've done upgrading to 3g though.... if qualcomm owns hspda patent than y go with evdo? Or at least give us revisions. We've had 3g for ten years now and were still on rev.a for evdo! Every time I look at coverage maps I'm frustrated that there are still dead zones! I mean come on there are already talks on 5g so by the time that comes out I expect lte to b national W/o dead zones. They should be looking to turn off 2g and maybe cut into profits to aggressively roll out lte ASAP. What ever carrier gets it my town first that's who I'm getting and I believe most of us would switch just to leave some of our crappy carriers. I found this. 4G Cellular, OFDM and LTE - the “GSM vs. CDMA” Standards War Ends! : Telecommunications Training, IP, VoIP and MPLS Training Blog

Upvote 0
I wish they would've done upgrading to 3g though.... if qualcomm owns hspda patent than y go with evdo? Or at least give us revisions. We've had 3g for ten years now and were still on rev.a for evdo! Every time I look at coverage maps I'm frustrated that there are still dead zones! I mean come on there are already talks on 5g so by the time that comes out I expect lte to b national W/o dead zones. They should be looking to turn off 2g and maybe cut into profits to aggressively roll out lte ASAP. What ever carrier gets it my town first that's who I'm getting and I believe most of us would switch just to leave some of our crappy carriers. I found this. 4G Cellular, OFDM and LTE - the

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones