• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I believe that marijuana should be legal (discussion)

Speaking as someone who lives very near the "green triangle" in Northern Ca, and someone who had seen firsthand the positive medicinal effects of marijuana, I firmly believe it should be legalized.
The violence surrounding the illegal cultivation of marijuana is frightening. People are ruthlessly gunned down, often on their own or public land, because they inadvertently wandered into a pot field being grown by out of country gangs. If it were legalized, these gangs would no longer have the incentive to grow it, thereby reducing violence.

Marijuana is also a proven appetite stimulant. It's synthetic form, marinol, is routinely prescribed to increase appetite in cancer patients. But speaking from experience as a primary caretaker for a cancer patient, the plant in its natural form is more effective. Marijuana is also effective in treating chronic pain, migraines and depression.

Legalizing marijuana and enacting laws similar to those governing alcohol is in my opinion the way to go. It is much less damaging than alcohol. I've met many an angry drunk, but nary an angry stoner.

The increase in tax revenue and decreased burden on our justice system is nothing to sneeze at either.

Reactions: B2L and 9to5cynic
Upvote 0
I'm on the mpp mailing list and I got a link to this recently... just thought id share it with this thread which I never knew existed till now...

https://secure2.convio.net/mpp/site...id=2765&JServSessionIdr004=cb3eb6gc0h.app213a

Hope it works...

As far as reform goes it is my belief that once a majority of states decriminalize for medicinal use the federal gov will need to reschedule it... schedule 1 classification states that there is no medical use.

We need to take this one step at a time and build support in stages until it overwhelms opposition. That's why colorado is important right now imho. Doing it one state at a time...

Reactions: B2L
Upvote 0
Just a WARNING.

Marijuana does not fully wear off, long after the chemicals have metabolized, there are semi permanent and permanent effects to short term and long term memory, concentration, motor skills etc. kind of like a virus on a computer.

Legalized or not- Don't use it-especially if you want to study, or excel at anything.

You can get a similar "clean " high from Meditation, Exercise, Yoga, etc. which INCREASES your concentration, memory etc.

Upvote 0
I might agree with that if I didn't see contradictories to this argument everywhere.. a guy used extremely frequently all day long everyday except for work and when he ran out. People always commented on his ability to retain information and remember details they had long forgotten.

The same guy got pulled over and summonsed for possesion.. the cop who booked him spelled it mariwanna and weighed it wrong at over twice the weight of what he actually had. Needless to say the charges were dropped.

Now when this guy was using he was unable to carry on a conversation without forgetting what he said mid sentence.. but he was back to his old self and sharp as a whip hours after the euphoria had abated.

Upvote 0
Just a WARNING.

Marijuana does not fully wear off, long after the chemicals have metabolized, there are semi permanent and permanent effects to short term and long term memory, concentration, motor skills etc. kind of like a virus on a computer.

Legalized or not- Don't use it-especially if you want to study, or excel at anything.

You can get a similar "clean " high from Meditation, Exercise, Yoga, etc. which INCREASES your concentration, memory etc.

I'd like some scientists to do some tests on me, proving them wrong would be quite easy. I'm always getting compliments on how good my memory is high, or not. I'm a straight A student, have a great full time job, and a family who loves me. I even spend my free time helping people on forums, just like this one.

Please tell me how I won't "excel at anything", some of the smartest people I know, smoke on a daily basis.

We aren't all just lazy stoners, many of us pay taxes, have jobs, and help out where we can. What about all the people that are prescribed medicines by their doctors? Some of those "legal" drugs have much worse side effects than anything marijuana can do.

Reactions: Loota
Upvote 0
Here in Michigan it is already legal for medical purposes, but I read that people are petitioning to make it legal for people over 21, and you can drive while on it. So just like alcohol. From what I understand it is actually making alot of progress and will likely appear on the next ballot. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Upvote 0
I would like to share something with you an this thread. Did you know that there are more people dying from cigarettes than marijuana? That is one of the supporting arguments of legalizing marijuana in many countries.

No one has ever died from marijuana, it's not physically possible. In order to die from it, you would need to smoke twice your body weight within an hour or so. Even then, it wouldn't be a death from marijuana; it would be a death from carbon monoxide.

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0
Marijuana should be legal. Its a natural plant. Given to us by nature to help us relieve stress.

Not a good argument for legalization in my view. Cocaine and opiates are natural as well. Given to us by nature, blah blah blah.

And how do you know mother nature gave these plants to us to relieve stress? They mess with the thinking process, they are dangerous and they make us crazy.

I doubt Mama Nature intended us to smoke dope.

Upvote 0
No one has ever died from marijuana, it's not physically possible. In order to die from it, you would need to smoke twice your body weight within an hour or so. Even then, it wouldn't be a death from marijuana; it would be a death from carbon monoxide.

Seriously? I am sure some people have got cancer from the drug because it is smoked. Lots of stuff in MJ that we should not take in.

Upvote 0
I would like to share something with you an this thread. Did you know that there are more people dying from cigarettes than marijuana? That is one of the supporting arguments of legalizing marijuana in many countries.

Oh please. If MJ was used as much as tobacco and by as many people, you would see serious problems. The MJ user base is small compared to the cigarette user base.

Upvote 0
I'd like some scientists to do some tests on me, proving them wrong would be quite easy. I'm always getting compliments on how good my memory is high, or not. I'm a straight A student, have a great full time job, and a family who loves me. I even spend my free time helping people on forums, just like this one.

Please tell me how I won't "excel at anything", some of the smartest people I know, smoke on a daily basis.

We aren't all just lazy stoners, many of us pay taxes, have jobs, and help out where we can. What about all the people that are prescribed medicines by their doctors? Some of those "legal" drugs have much worse side effects than anything marijuana can do.

And legalizing it adds one more problem to the mix. We already know--for a fact--that we the people cannot use intoxicants responsibly. MJ users are probably no different and when/if the crap is legalized, it is just one more thing to worry about.

Make the stuff legal and we will see increased problems. Then what's next? Legalize something else? We need to decide what to do and do it. We need to stop screwing around.

We either need to legalize it or start shoveling people into a jail cell or forced labor camps. As things are now, it is easy to get, easy to grow and nothing the gubberment in its war on drugs has done has stopped it or slowed it down much.

Upvote 0
In Holland, most soft substances are legal. I was talking to a girl while I was there, and I said "it must be nice living here, you get to smoke whenever and wherever you like" and she said to me, "that stuff is for the tourists. I don't smoke it"
Then it hit me, if marijuana were made legal in the USA, the only people that are going to smoke it are the people that were going to smoke it regardless. Yeah, I'll spark up just to celebrate legalization, but I wouldn't be a habitual user.

The reason it will never be legalized is because there's too much money to be made with it being illegal. The "war on drugs" is a multi-billion dollar a year industry. The DEA makes big busts, get bigger budgets. Prisons are flooded with prisoners who's only crimes are victimless. Drug dealers get harsher sentences than child molesters.
The point here is there is more money for prisons, law enforcement agencies, and politicians if this "war on drugs" continues. They get bigger budgets, promotions, and more money in their pockets.

Personally, I don't like weed. I end up smoking it once or twice a year, and then I remember why I don't like it. Makes me feel dirty and slow. But as far as victimless crimes go, I'm all for getting rid of them. Legalizing/decriminalization of drugs, prostitution, speed limits, and everything else that doesn't hurt anyone.

Upvote 0
Seriously? I am sure some people have got cancer from the drug because it is smoked. Lots of stuff in MJ that we should not take in.

Nope. Doesn't happen. There isn't lots of stuff in weed. You're getting it confused with tobacco. Just because it is smoked doesn't mean anything. It doesn't have any of the shit that tobacco is.

You're just one of those uninformed people who think it should be legal because you don't know any better

Upvote 0
Not a good argument for legalization in my view. Cocaine and opiates are natural as well. Given to us by nature, blah blah blah.

And how do you know mother nature gave these plants to us to relieve stress? They mess with the thinking process, they are dangerous and they make us crazy.

I doubt Mama Nature intended us to smoke dope.

Idk about you but it has never made me crazy. You watch too much news. Every one blows it way out of proportion. If I smoke I don't wanna go kill someone, I sit there and watch tv or play a game and eat a snack. Don't see how that's crazy

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones