• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Olympics London 2012!

http://www.london2012.com/medals/medal-count/

Medal count is looking good for GBR.

Considering USA and China are about 50 times our size, coming 3rd is a great feat.

The US is five times GB and China 20 but hey close enough :p

Ireland only has two medals from boxing so far (what metal they will be has yet to determined), so I've been cheering on other European teams. Some great stuff from the Brits I must say, hard not to be delighted for them :)

Anyway, I think this picture is quite interesting :p

6RKtq.png

Upvote 0
The US is five times GB and China 20 but hey close enough :p

Well 5.37 and 22.98 to be closer to it...

...and only have 1.52 and 1.68 times our golds respectively.

...and 1.47 / 1.51 total respectively.

So to put it into a meaningful perspective:

Country --- gold Medals per capita*----total medals per capita*
GBR---------0.37--------------------------0.74
USA---------0.09--------------------------0.20
CHN---------0.02--------------------------0.05

So really, USA beats China and Great Britain beats USA, proportionately.

:smokingsomb::smokingsomb::smokingsomb:

*capita represented in millions.

Upvote 0
Well 5.37 and 22.98 to be closer to it...

...and only have 1.52 and 1.68 times our golds respectively.

...and 1.47 / 1.51 total respectively.

So to put it into a meaningful perspective:

Country --- gold Medals per capita*----total medals per capita*
GBR---------0.37--------------------------0.74
USA---------0.09--------------------------0.20
CHN---------0.02--------------------------0.05

So really, USA beats China and Great Britain beats USA, proportionately.

:smokingsomb::smokingsomb::smokingsomb:

*capita represented in millions.
Indeed.. but to be totally fair:

Olympic Medals per Capita

:D

Upvote 0
The Brits did a decent job in their opening ceremony, but I agree that it paled in comparison to the Beijing opening ceremony. I don't think any country can top what China did in 2008.

Given the much lower budget and the fact that a good chunk of the participants were volunteers, I thought they did an excellent job and was extremely impressed.

Danny Boyle had stated on numerous occasions that you could never top Beijing (given the fact that the state pushes its people to the breaking point when it comes to things like this) and that he wanted a very British opening ceremony that celebrated Britain's past and culture.

My only disappointment was with NBC cutting away from the memorial of the London, Tube bombings and had an interview with Michael Phelps instead. I could imagine people chagrin in the US had the same happened elsewhere talking about, say 9/11. Bad show NBC, bad show...

Reactions: ElasticNinja
Upvote 0
Given the much lower budget and the fact that a good chunk of the participants were volunteers, I thought they did an excellent job and was extremely impressed.

Danny Boyle had stated on numerous occasions that you could never top Beijing (given the fact that the state pushes its people to the breaking point when it comes to things like this) and that he wanted a very British opening ceremony that celebrated Britain's past and culture.

My only disappointment was with NBC cutting away from the memorial of the London, Tube bombings and had an interview with Michael Phelps instead. I could imagine people chagrin in the US had the same happened elsewhere talking about, say 9/11. Bad show NBC, bad show...

Lets not forget China's CGI fireworks.

Olympic fireworks digitally faked | News | TechRadar

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones