• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tapatalk is being discontinued

Perhaps we should start an SP1 thread to track all bugs and requests for the app to keep it's improvements coming as fast as it has been. (Well, this week @stevealbright and family have been a little under the weather, but usually he is pumping out features and fixes)
If you truly have a TT replacement in the works, throw it at me and I'll send logcats (L & R) very often. Being a TT replacement is something I'll be glad to be a part of and glad to help as I consider it PROGRESS if TT has dropped the ball.

So there, a suggestion instead of a complaint. [emoji41]

Last edited:
Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
On top of that, where's everyone's Recognized Developer status? You took those titles from many ppl that have earned and deserved them.

Thing is in Tapa, I could NOT see anyone's member status and titles, whether Recognized Developer, Contributor, Moderator, Administrator, VIP Member, Guide, etc. In Tapa everyone appears the same, just username and avatar.

Upvote 0
Nope, not doing it.

Discontinue all you want. Alienate your members all you want. That's all you. I refuse to download yet another app for a useless forum. Been there, done that.

People use Tapatalk for a reason. The system works... Period. When you're on dozens of forums, why should you have to have dozens of apps?

Forums are dying because of strong arm tactics like this. Feed us more. View our ads. Whine, whine, whine. That's really all this is.

Upvote 0
Nope, not doing it.

Discontinue all you want. Alienate your members all you want. That's all you. I refuse to download yet another app for a useless forum. Been there, done that.

People use Tapatalk for a reason. The system works... Period. When you're on dozens of forums, why should you have to have dozens of apps?

Forums are dying because of strong arm tactics like this. Feed us more. View our ads. Whine, whine, whine. That's really all this is.

Alternatively, use your browser. Our mobile site is definately getting there. Then you don't need an app at all.

Upvote 0
Finally found this thread within the app. Not easy.

I was a Tapatalk beta tester from Tapatalk 2.

Then Winter got $5 million and moved to San Francisco and put it up his nose.

Taking six weeks off every other month for Chinese Festivals didn't help either.

We have to have sometime off work. :) We don't do Christmas or Easter or Thanksgiving or Halloween officially, so no public holidays for those.

Upvote 0
I do not use forum applications. I have NO experience with 'Tapatalk'
I support the addition of the new AndroidForums application, even though I refuse to use it.

I do not doubt you, your report, or intentions; however I'd love to see you back up your position with various sources. This is your site and you have the right to make decisions at will, with no sources whatsoever. You do not owe anyone any further information. I just think you can solidify and strengthen your argument with some backing of other voices.
I realize TT's wild popularity over the years and I'm not looking for a current Tapatalk smear campaign, but is there a relevant news article that can be linked that further proves Tapatalk's overall unreliability and lack of trustworthiness (or 'messiness')? Is there documentation of a large group of Forum Admins that have or are currently all unloading Tapatalk for the same or similar reasons? You can build a strong case to back yourself when the trolls come knocking once you push the big red button and turn off Tapatalk access for good.

Not touching that app until you Un-Google it

There's a version that doesn't require a Google login, but it's a fairly early beta at the moment. It is coming.

Agreed. Un-Google it and tone down the device/carrier/application intents snooping (give me a way, if I so choose, in an advanced or hidden setting to turn off device/app scanning before it happens) then prove that it is clean and clear. You can further bolster your own track record of stupendous trustworthiness and high reliability.
I might consider trying the AndroidForums application. I'm more than perfectly content with just browsing from a web browser, the new site is great so far!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As mentioned before, Tapatalk is a single app where I can monitor/participate in multiple forums. I don't want to download and run a bunch of apps on my phone to stay connected to my internet friends. Hell, I don't even have Facebook on my phone.

Tapatalk is buggy as hell, but at least it has a dark theme and I can get all my feeds in one location, but now you want me to have a separate app for your stuff, and what? Then XDA will pull out and I'll have to add their app? Then every one of the fifteen or so other forums I currently watch... my phone will be running like it's 1998 all over again.

Edit: I will not log in via Google, so the app is a non-starter for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
I respect the reasons for dropping Tapatalk, but I'm not all that happy that it had to happen. I spend the summer with my main "computer" being an iPad and Tapatalk is a lot more efficient than than using the mobile site, and I know that you'll never have an iOS app. I'll probably be checking in less often, that's all.

Upvote 0
I have always thought that development of a dedicated web forum app is a strange thing to do. After all, we have a universal application already on our phones, which should be able to handle all possible web forums. That is the web browser.
I say 'should', because every website which is intended for use from a mobile phone, should be mobile phone friendly. Not all are.
Wouldn't the effort of developing a forum app be better directed at working on good, mobile friendly web pages?

Upvote 0
It's a valid idea, but realistically there are many people who, rightly or wrongly, prefer to use apps rather than browsers (I personally find that the site works just fine on a mobile browser already). The owner and admins will have the statistics, and I'm sure have taken this into consideration when deciding where to allocate resources.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
Wouldn't the effort of developing a forum app be better directed at working on good, mobile friendly web pages?

Yep which is what we're doing :) I'm in that camp. No app, just have a great mobile site. But.. the app we have IS pretty slick and it originally wasn't meant to be a TT replacement but, now we're trying to add a few unplanned features to kind of help with the bridging.

Upvote 0
It's a valid idea, but realistically there are many people who, rightly or wrongly, prefer to use apps rather than browsers (I personally find that the site works just fine on a mobile browser already). The owner and admins will have the statistics, and I'm sure have taken this into consideration when deciding where to allocate resources.

I suppose it boils down to personal preference, and circumstances. I find that AF web pages work ok from a mobile device. Room for improvement to be honest. However 99% of the time, I'm accessing from my laptop.
But I suppose it's great that with the AF app, the forum has a foot in both camps. Always good to cover all the bases if you can.
I suppose one reason Tapatalk exists is because a lot of forums don't have great mobile web pages?

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
I would think that forum apps originally became popular in the days when phones had lesser displays & processors and slower networks. Though it's certainly true that not all forums have websites that are well optimised for mobile use (I use an old TT-based XDA Premium app for that site simply because it's more readable, even though it's very slow starting up and loading my subscriptions).

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0
Tapatalk has always struggled to keep up with XDA and Android Forums. Lots of issues.

And regression problems. Bugs come back.

They appear to have fencepost problems. Like one piece of code counts 1 - 10 and another counts 0 - 9.

They kicked out their best long term beta testers because we reported too many bugs.

Tapatalk sees no reason to cater to power users because there aren't a lot of us. They actually look down on us. Picky users who expect the app to keep working through updates.

Reactions: Dngrsone and Xyro
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones