• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tapatalk is being discontinued

Wow, that's incredibly incompetent.
Xyro, Phases, & I fought that battle. They changed it, then it came back a few builds later.

I was a huge TT proponent. I was a betatester for them, supported the app here in various AF thread, played liason between members here and TT, and I'll say it again. Goodbye and good riddance.

What made TT great was that they provided a clean interface to various forums, but the form was always first. Then they tried being a social media platform and making curated (by TT) content first, for the benefit of TT, and pushing the individual forums to the background. That's when I stopped tolerating the bugs and stopped using it. The few times I've tried it since then I haven't been able to get comfortable again.

Like others here, I'm going to probably use mobile web.

Upvote 0
Not impressed. The app insists on linking with Google (which I don't use for this forum account) and displaying my name instead of just my handle.

The most recent development build supports logging in using only your AF credentials. I don't know when this feature will make it to the public build, but it is coming.

Upvote 0
I'll keep it simple. I refuse to use apps that require me to link my google account to them in order to login. It is a potential intrusion of privacy, not to mention an unnecessary additional login. I remember when Iheartradio was trying to force users to log in using Facebook or you could not use the service. I dropped them instantly and never looked back.

Before you drop TT, I would make the suggestion that you at least resolve the login requirements; otherwise you are going to lose more members as they walk away once they see you want their google login, too.

Upvote 0
Well shoot. I just found this thread after posting in another one. Lovely. More apps needed.

Trying the new non Google app(thanks for mentioning it, @Hadron) and the dark theme makes it better by far. Good job on the restart, BTW. Only glaring issues immediately noticed at this time is the lack of post # count for identifying and reference purposes and inability to reply with out quoting.

One question - how did the app know which device I was running? No hate involved, just curious. [emoji89]

Last edited:
Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0
<i>Is it dated yet?</i>
No dates or post counts yet, but I'm giving it a chance since they were nice enough to listen and offer a non Google sign-in. I still prefer Tapatalk at this point but the sign-in was a big deal with this apk for me. Needs a refresh button (might have been mentioned) too. Is there a better thread for bug reports, @stevealbright ?

Upvote 0
This font is so small. Hate not seeing exact time.. 3 hours, 4 weeks ,10 days ago..

I totally agree on the font! It should be 2X the size in my opinion and I've told @stevealbright that a bunch... However many other people say I'm old and my eyes are bad and this meets Google's material design standards.

I vote for a font increase!

Like this post if you agree :)

Upvote 0
I totally agree on the font! It should be 2X the size in my opinion and I've told @stevealbright that a bunch... However many other people say I'm old and my eyes are bad and this meets Google's material design standards.

I vote for a font increase!

Like this post if you agree :)

I totally agree. Also light gray text on a white background don't help readability either.

Upvote 0
This looks like shit, cutting stuff off too

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170312-103513.png
    Screenshot_20170312-103513.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 401
Upvote 0
Admittadly I'm not following this thread too closely but.. have (any of) you tried out our mobile web version as a TT replacement?

Talk about easy and fun to use... I see no reason for TT at all really compared to this. Except of course for accessing multiple places, being in their network etc.. but thinking just AF.. I'd be curious to hear if our mobile site is missing anything to bring it up to speed :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones