• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Vodafone Smart Chat aka ZTE - P752D

j3zz

Mar 26, 2013
Dublin
Hi guys, since 4 days in my spare time I'm googling for way to root this phone. So far I've tried with :

- Unlock Root
- Universal Androot
- ZhuoDaShi
- SuperOneClick

I've scanned phone with X-ray app - it says that phone is secured from all exploits.

Maybe anyone here can help me ? :rolleyes:

Phone is running under GB 2.3.6

This is part of log created by srsroot :

[HIGH]23:14:05 - Starting ADB Server..
23:14:13 - Manufacturer: ZTE
23:14:15 - Model: Vodafone Smart Chat
23:14:16 - Android Version: 2.3.6
23:14:18 - Build ID: VodafoneSmartChat-MSM7225A-V02c-Sep272012-Vodafone-IE
23:14:19 - Board ID: turies
23:14:20 - Chipset Platform: msm7k
23:14:20 - Getting OffSets.. : 0x8003 0x8005 (False) [/HIGH]As far as I know It is Qualcomm MSM7225A 800Mhz processor.

Let me know what exactly u need to know or maybe there is some good apk which can show detailed specs of my phone so I can post them here ?

P.S. Yes, I'm noob but fast learning ;) I got some basic experience when I was playing with my old Diamond Touch. At least with CWM and mods. Rooting is something new for me but I'm not going to give up with this phone too quickly ;)

Upvote 0
apologies i thought i had replied to you. anyways it seems you are in the "dead zone" 2.3.5-2.3.7 was a time when there wasnt a lot of new exploits that caused android wide panic. i dont think i am going to be of much help for you honestly. my last suggestion would be t o try things like framaroot app and see if that works or maybe some more of teh lesser known root exploits :/

Upvote 0
apologies i thought i had replied to you.

No problem mate I have patience :) Thanks for reply anyway. I'm checking this forum everyday.

App that You mention wont even start on my device - "seems like your phone is not vulnerable to exploit included in Framaroot" .
I think I found some guy willing to help me but there is another problem.
I need to dump boot.img from my phone. As far as I found, there is no possibility to get it from unrooted device ?
I've tried do this manually by using busybox but all I can do is to dump /system .

Any ideas what else I can do ?

Upvote 0
CXUp1dv.jpg

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi,

new forum member here :D, hoping to get some help.
The story:
I got exactly the same phone as j3zz has. I tried the tutorial that he suggested. Everything went smoothly.
I wanted to get CWM manager on the phone but it said it is incompatible. Installed it anyway but couldn't really use it. I couldn't make a backup with it and as far as I can tell none of the options worked as they should.
So didn't really cared about it, I was happy with ADB. I made a stupid mistake. I didn't made any backups. (except pulling /system/app) and while playing with ADB shell and deleting some useless apps from the phone, the dumbest idea came into my mind: I wanted to delete all google apps ... and I did.
Seemed to be ok at first, but the search button stopped working. Now I wanted google back ... how funny is that? I thought pushing back GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk and GoogleServicesFramework.apk would be enough.
Restarted phone and it stuck in a loop at the vodafone logo. Ok no worries, I pulled the battery out, put it back in, powered on, system started and now I am stuck at the "Touch the android to begin" screen.
I searched the net for bypassing it, found the four corner stuff, but that isn't working or I missed something (touchpad is working because the android is highlighted, also I can select language, change volume and enter numbers to make an emergency call). Booted into 3e recovery mode, made a factory reset but that's it, nothing changed. I can't get ADB to work because phone stays in mass storage mode, I can't do a reflash because I don't have the stock rom, I really don't know how to boot it in fastload mode (is this FTM?) and I can't update from sdcard because of signature failure. That's it.

I played with QPST and I made a full memory dump (?) with the download software. I don't know what to do with it, probably it's useless. I also tried EFS explorer but nvm/zte/efs folders are locked and I'm not really sure if accessing them would help in any way.

I can't get to "USB debugging" menu so I guess ADB is ruled out. I read somewhere that it should work in the 3e recovery but it doesn't. As I already said I don't know how to enter in fastload mode (is this FTM?)
Is there a way to modify some nv item and get ADB working again?
Is the android safe mode good for something?
Could you j3zz make a backup and upload it?:D Maybe I could restore it from sdcard?

So what can I do/try?
Any suggestion and help is appreciated. :D
Thanks.
(Sorry for the long story, the mistakes/language and the stupid questions/assumptions.)

Upvote 0
Hi, when you flash the recovery.img from other device, how did you restore the firmware? I had a problem, I root the phone and by mistake I erase sometihng in the firmware folder, do you have any Idea how can I solve this? I read that for other devices we can push the recovery.img with Odin, how can I do it for this device?

Upvote 0
A little necrodigging but might be useful for those who ****** up their recovery.img :)

Thanks to some dude from XDA for clean ORIGINAL recovery.img for Vodafone smart Chat.

Now it's time for "how to" :

1. Download recovery.img Download recovery.img from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way
2. Install any Terminal Emulator from market
3. copy recovery.img to root of your SDcard
4. make sure that u have installed superuser on your phone
5. go to terminal emulator than type :
Code:
su
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
DONE !

Now you can do factory reset or enter recovery mode again :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones