• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Baker's Anonymous

breadnatty08

pain rustique
Nov 8, 2009
Any bakers out there?
I'm just getting a resurgence of interest to get back into more home baking. It was what I went to culinary school for. :rolleyes:
Starting a sourdough starter currently to do some bread baking at home. Other things I love to do are bagels (they're great since they don't need steam), scones and occasionally cookies.
Pies are always a favorite but I never get my dough right and the wife (and main eater) isn't a pie person. :p
Feel free to share a recipe or if anyone has any bread questions, I might call myself a pretty knowledgeable person on the subject. :)

How d'you make soda bread? Replace the yeast with soda ..? Can't be just that, shirley?

I make all our bread - we haven't bought a standard loaf in maybe 5 years.

Well, I say 'make': I put the ingredients in the bread machine, press a few buttons and come back in the morning .. same thing, right?

My problem is I always overload the bread with seeds and nuts and stuff so it never rises properly .. taste great, though.

Upvote 0
How d'you make soda bread? Replace the yeast with soda ..? Can't be just that, shirley?

I make all our bread - we haven't bought a standard loaf in maybe 5 years.

Well, I say 'make': I put the ingredients in the bread machine, press a few buttons and come back in the morning .. same thing, right?

My problem is I always overload the bread with seeds and nuts and stuff so it never rises properly .. taste great, though.

Yes! That is how you make beer bread as well, no yeast = no kneading or waiting for the bread to rise = super fast and easy breezy:)

plus....YUM!

Upvote 0
The Zo has a sourdough cycle. I put the stuff for the sponge in and let it sit in the machine for 8 hours before adding the rest of the ingredients.

I have a variety of Boston Brown Bread that is made with buttermilk and baking soda.
Sweet corn bread uses baking powder.

I make Italian bread with yeast, but it rises too much (added gluten) for the machine. I roll it into a batard and bake in the oven. Sourdough goes in the regular oven.

Most yeast breads do very well in a bread machine. I've done non-sourdough ryes and they have all baked very well.

There are proportions to replacing yeast with any other levener. You'd have to look it up.

Upvote 0
http://http://www.food.com/recipe/beer-bread-73440
That sounds great - I'm going to have to try it!

For the beer bread, do you have to use a special sort of beer - maybe a dark one rather a pilsner type - or can it be anything?

It can be anything, although I prefer the taste of using a lighter pilsner type rather than a dark beer....

exact opposite if I'm drinking the beer though;)

shoot..don't think I got the link correctly..ugh...
no links no pics....I should really work on that:rolleyes:

Reactions: SiempreTuna
Upvote 0
Soda Bread: 500G/2Lb White or Wholemeal(Wholewheat) flour, 500Ml/ 18Fl Oz skimmed or semi-skimmed milk, 2 tsps baking soda.

Mix it all in a bowl (dry ingredients first, add the liquid slowly while mixing). When thoroughly mixed into a soft dough, place on a floured baking sheet and shape into a round about 2" thick. Place in a pre-heated oven Gas 5 for 20 mins or until a knife comes out clean. Eat while still warm with butter melting & soaking in.

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones