• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Baker's Anonymous

I tried that starter. Looked as ropy and viscous as pahoehoe lava.

The last bread did have a more sour taste. I let it proof in the fridge overnight.

Be another week before I need more. I'll see if the starter got any more sour.

The Vulcan doesn't like rye bread. I make him Italian and sweet cornbread. That lasts him about 2 weeks. We haven't bought a loaf of bread since I got the machine.
I bake the cornbread in it, but it does a nice job of kneading.

Upvote 0
Yum!! love banana bread...curious to see if you think that recipe makes it any better!I make a zucchini bread that is absolutely downright delicious! I found the recipe online a few years ago and it's more labor intensive than most other quick bread recipes ...
but it is by far the best I've ever had! and so worth it! much better when I pick a zucchini straight from my small garden..(which is really the only reason I grow them)

ugh..now I want summer to hurry up and get here already!:)

Upvote 0
No more bakers left? :(
Whelp, I think I'm going to give a try at making brioche at home tomorrow. It's a two day process. We make it nearly everyday at work but I'm not a fan of their recipe. It's made with such a small amount of butter since every use for it is cooked (burger buns, French toast, croutons). I'll be trying out Jeffrey Hammelman's recipe which has far more butter. :)

Upvote 0
I have to be a bit careful with my cooking, since my husband is diabetic. :)

Tried this cinnamon bread recently, using Splenda instead of the sugar and mixing the cinnamon stuff into the dough instead of doing the layer-and-swirl thing. Quite tasty, didn't brown much (apparently a known thing with Splenda, and DH didn't care what it looked like). He's lobbying for more. :D

I could use some ideas for overripe bananas besides banana bread, just for some variety.

Upvote 0
The brioche turned out amazing. The mixed fermentation (poolish, sourdough) gave it a really deep, rich flavor that helped balance all the butter. Plenty of acid. Wow, just great. Light as a cloud as well. :)
Today I'm mixed a semolina and sesame (with fennel) sourdough. Never used this blend of flour (Arrowhead Mills), but looking forward to the results. I'll let it stay in the fridge overnight and bake tomorrow.
The boule (pic above) is delicious. But, I had it while it was still a little warm. Need to give it some time for flavors to develop. Tis the life of wild yeast breads. :D

Upvote 0
Baking speculaas. Fast, simple and very tasty.
1369051057737.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones