• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

March Madness on Android Devices?

SoDroid

Android Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2009
Denver
I've been searching for a way to watch the upcoming college basketball tournament on my Droid. I know that CBS put out an app for iPhones allowing iPhone users to stream every single game as well as view brackets, trash talk and post on facebook and twitter, and number of other things.

I know there is not an app for android users to stream games, my question is, does anyone know of a site that will stream the games that DOES NOT require flash player?

Or if anyone has another idea I'd love to hear it! Round 1 starts Thursday and I'll be stuck in an office. I'd rather use my computer for work and stream the games on my phone.

Thanks in advance!

We are screwed until flash comes out later in the year. Microsoft is basing its new OS on silverlite which should be able to do all of those types of media, apple holds the evil gate keys to many apps, and android doesnt have enough clout yet.

Personally im using my notebook to watch the games, on some that may not be televised in my area I just shoot it from my notebook to my tv.

Upvote 0
So heres what I have come up with so far for actually watching the games.

• There is the UStream Viewer app(free in market) that allows you view streams that people put up on Ustream. I have had some luck with watching sports on UStream in the past. (I dont know how picky they will be about pulling the streams or if there will even be one. I can usually find a soccer game on here) This seems ideal, as it has the best quality for audio and video.
  • I have a crappy PC with a TV tuner card. There is an app called Orb Live($9.99) that allows me to stream my tv tuner card over the web. I have had mixed results with this so far. I have seen people say they have had good results with this, but my feed always ends up being choppy/laggy. I think this is because of either my crappy PC or my limited upload capabilities on my home network. There is also an option in Orb to watch "Internet TV". But I haven't had much luck with this yet.
  • The other option, is to use PhoneMyPC($9.99 from the market) to connect to my home PC. This way I can go to my favorite stream sites (which mostly link to sites that use a flash player or Sopcast). Then you can use the View Live feature to view the stream. This works pretty well with the drawback of no sound. It says in the market that sound will be coming soon. Not sure when though. I guess this will be my option if UStream doesnt work, since I dont really need sound.
  • There is another program that is called Steam Media Player(there is a free version that has ads. and a $0.99 version). It allows you to enter in a rtsp stream url and it says it supports .sdp and .3gp. But I dont know where to find these streams.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones