• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

One account with two phones

I'm a photographer, so I really want to get a Pixel 6 Pro. But I'm a woman, and those phones are HUGE. I don't have a pocket big enough, not to mention that I have no hope of using that size phone one handed.

So, my question to the universe is, why can't I have two or more phones on one account and phone number?

Before you say "free data SIMs", I'm already doing that. But I want actual cell service and the same Google account on two different phones that I use interchangeably.

I could add a family member to my account and have a second phone number, but that has it's own set of complications.

The concept of one person--two devices isn't that complicated, but it seems like there's no easy way to set it up.

Well, you certainly can have more than one phone on the same account. I have 4, but I'm not normal.

I don't think there is a way to have the same number without moving the sim card, I do quite easily.

You can keep the unused phone up to date with apps and updates through wifi or tethering, and sync any apps such as notes manually too.

Is that what you meant?

Upvote 0
why can't I have two or more phones on one account and phone number?
You can have your Google account on two or more different phones, just sign in to it on both phones.

Having the same number on two different phones would require your carrier to support it, and I don't think any phone company does that.

Upvote 0
Your best bet for this is an app like Dingtone that allows up to 5 devices to share a number.

I have actually had more than that active on a single line before, but I have had the number for a long time, so I may be 'grandfathered' in somehow.

Anyway, it is free (you can purchase more credits if you like) if you watch a few short ads each day, and there are other ways to earn credits as well.

This is what I used before I could afford cellular service, and I have just continued on with it because it works so well- especially in areas where I can get wi-fi but no cell signal (which is basically everywhere, because I am stuck with T-Mobile).

Upvote 0
Well, you certainly can have more than one phone on the same account. I have 4, but I'm not normal.

I don't think there is a way to have the same number without moving the sim card, I do quite easily.

You can keep the unused phone up to date with apps and updates through wifi or tethering, and sync any apps such as notes manually too.

Is that what you meant?

Yes, but I was hoping not to have to swap a SIM card back and forth. Even if it's done by re-activating an eSIM, I can easily see myself forgetting to make the switch until I'm out of mobile data range and have only mobile phone and text service, at which point I wouldn't be able to switch it.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like my best option is to get the free extra data-SIM for the 2nd phone and then switch cell phone activation between the two when necessary. I'm using Google Fi, so a phone with just a data SIM will still allow me to use my regular phone number where mobile data service is good. I was hoping there was a seamless way to do it.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
I'm a photographer, so I really want to get a Pixel 6 Pro. But I'm a woman, and those phones are HUGE. I don't have a pocket big enough, not to mention that I have no hope of using that size phone one handed.

So, my question to the universe is, why can't I have two or more phones on one account and phone number?

Before you say "free data SIMs", I'm already doing that. But I want actual cell service and the same Google account on two different phones that I use interchangeably.

I could add a family member to my account and have a second phone number, but that has it's own set of complications.

The concept of one person--two devices isn't that complicated, but it seems like there's no easy way to set it up.
You can, and you've been able to for quite some time. Different cellular services call it different things. For ATT, it's number sync. For Verizon, it's number share. Also, as for the large phone remark, I promise you there isn't a phone on the market that won't fit in your pockets just fine. I have the largest phone on the USA market, excluding off label phones and foreign phones. I also use a very large and bulky wallet case for my phone. I fit the entire thing in the back pocket of my jeans just fine. Yes it's much bulkier. Yes the top sticks out. But it still fits and never comes out.
*I realize this was posted last year, but for the sake of readers having more info, I'm going to post my comment anyway*

Upvote 0
Not all pockets are the same, and she said that it didn't fit her pockets (plus not everyone wears jeans, and many people don't carry their phone in the back pocket anyway). But in any event she also said it didn't fit her hands, which is a bigger problem with no solution.

If someone says that a phone is the wrong size for them it's the wrong size for them. Telling them that they are wrong won't help, and may come across as disrespectful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Having the same number on two different phones would require your carrier to support it, and I don't think any phone company does that.
And therein lies the problem. From their point of view, there's too much opportunity for fraud. Interestingly, many carriers do allow the same phone number on a phone and a watch that has cellular service. My wife does it. I'm sure your provider would issue a stern warning or shut you down if they ever detected both devices off hook at the same time though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones