• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The "I'm so old" thread game

I'm so old that I well remember that the car wash was me every weekend. Weed control was a matter or crawling around the yard and digging up the weeds with a kitchen knife. I also mowed the lawn with a push reel mower and trimmed with a pair of scissors. Hoeing the garden was also all mine.
I once asked my father if there was any sort of compensation for my chores. He simply stated that I earned the privilege to put my knees under the dinning table and eat my mother's cooking... just like him. He was a good man and I'll be forever grateful he gave me the opportunity to earn his respect.

Upvote 0
I'm so old I remember that a glass bottle of coca cola costs 25 cent

I collect old things, found most of these under houses that I was working on at the time. The two to the left of the painted Dr.Pepper bottle are a coke and DP bottle with the names made into the glass of the bottle ...

bottles.jpg

Upvote 0
Dr.Pepper bottle
I remembered to drink it at 10, 2 and 4. It's still my favorite soda (especially when they occasionally make the original recipe with sugar releases) but it was hard to get around here when I was young so was a treat when I could.
Some of those bottles I clearly remember...

Reactions: olbriar and AugieTN
Upvote 0
I remembered to drink it at 10, 2 and 4. It's still my favorite soda (especially when they occasionally make the original recipe with sugar releases) but it was hard to get around here when I was young so was a treat when I could.
Some of those bottles I clearly remember...

10-2-4 Collectors’ Club

Upvote 0
I remember the Pepsi jingle from my youth.
Pepsi Cola value pack
Brings a nickel serving back
Every serving that you pour
Cost a nickel not a penny more

And the lyrics us kids substituted
Pepsi Cola went to town
Coke Cola shot him down
Dr Pepper fixed him up
And they all got drunk on 7-Up

Your bottle collection is cool @ozonetrooper

I collected soda bottles as a kid. They were worth two cents each when returned. It was a major source of income.

Upvote 0
I've been trying to think of a soda that came out in the mid sixties. It looked like beer and was all the rave of the kids naturally. It tasted like crap but we drank it anyway. :) The name of the soda escapes me. It only had a short run.
XzIuanBn.jpg

Reactions: olbriar and AugieTN
Upvote 0
This memory was jogged by another AF thread. I remember as a child seeing a continuous mound of earth running parallel with the Oklahoma back roads we were traveling to visit my father's family. The mounds had posts sticking out of them in regular intervals about six to ten inches high. I finally asked what the mounds and posts were for. My father informed me that the posts were tops of fences and the mounds of earth were a result of the dust storms of the early thirties. That much earth airborne is staggering!

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
It killed people too that got dust pneumonia. I was told that static electricity generated by the dust was a real problem too.
It was an incredibly bad time for the plain states.

The first broadcast I saw in color was the Rose Bowl Parade. The entire neighborhood gathered at the only color TV owner's house to view the spectacle. Kids on the floor and women in lawn chairs and the men standing in back. It was quite an event at that time. Google says the first color broadcast of the parade was in1954. It had to be a couple of years later when I got my first look at a color TV... maybe 56-57. We didn't have a color TV until the late sixties.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones