• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The "I'm so old" thread game

Back in the day, by dialing WADBUG, I connected to an aviation weather recording for my area.

Escaping my memory now, I knew a number that you called and then hung up and your phone would ring. It was a Bell Tel test number.
By changing the last digit of that number the ring back changed... like short long short long, two short and a long, long and two short, etc.

I'm so old that I remember that you didn't own your phone and paid a nominal rental fee monthly.

Upvote 0
Our phone prefix was SO, (Southfield),SO34681 got you the time recording

Back in the day, by dialing WADBUG, I connected to an aviation weather recording for my area.
Mine was IV (Ivanhoe) and I totally forgot about calling for the time and temperature! I do remember when my dad bought our phone though, it seemed like it was a special day in my house.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
Mine was IV (Ivanhoe) and I totally forgot about calling for the time and temperature! I do remember when my dad bought our phone though, it seemed like it was a special day in my house.
Ivanhoe... I like that and have never heard of it before. I don't remember a time that we didn't have a phone. It was in a recessed cabinet in the hall with a shelf under it for the phone book. Naturally, you had to stand up to use the phone. Phone conversations were almost always short so standing worked just fine. Until I started dating.... My father had a perfectly functional internal clock and when your time on the phone ran out he was quick to inform you that your time was up. :) Busy signals.... consider the times you tried to call someone numerous times to again be greeted by a busy signal. I remember getting in trouble for dialing all but the last number to a radio station while waiting for the call in cue to dial the last number in an attempt to be the first caller. An hour or two of our phone being busy did not go down well.

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0
We only used the Ivanhoe for people who weren't near us - just saying IV always had to be repeated and it did sound cool. Was that IB? Ivanhoe was easier in the long run. The street I grew up on started with a V as well and was an Italian name so lots of spelling and 'no, V like Victor and Z like zebra'. Ah, good times!

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
Screenshot_20230423_090333_theCHIVE.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones