• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gun violence again...

HPD sergeant tackles man with rifle and 120 rounds of ammunition next to kids at the Galleria

Simpo was just wearing a soft vest and had a handgun, but went anyway. "I knew if a person did have a rifle and they were inside the mall, I was pretty much outnumbered, because all I had was a handgun at the time.

My handgun and his rifle, I was already at a disadvantage," he said.

Within minutes, Simpo spotted the suspect, later identified as Guido Herrera, near the Westin Ballroom entrance, within a few feet of hundreds of children.

Surveillance video shows Herrera wearing a shirt with the Punisher logo, carrying a rifle in one hand, a Bible in another, and wearing a leather mask with spikes.

"I quickly bum rushed, tackled him. And my first reaction was to make sure that I get a hold of the rifle. No matter what I grabbed, make sure I grabbed that rifle," Simpo said.

"I had in my mind (that) I was going to get shot. I just had to bear the pain, I knew it was going to hurt, and I was like, 'Whatever I do, I cannot let go of this rifle.'"

https://abc13.com/houston-crime-pos...alleria-sergeant-thwarted-shootings/12054469/

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Sadly another school shooting, this time in Nashville. As of now, 3 children killed and 2 adults, could be more unfortunately.

EDIT : now 3 adults confirmed deceased.
yeah i got tired of posting these events. there is just too many to keep up. i just saw this, but have not had the chance to follow up on it.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Yeah. It's perfectly normal that a 16 year old goes to pick up a sibling who was visiting a friend, gets the street name confused, rings the wrong doorbell and is shot for doing it.

Actually no, there's only one country where things like that happen. Same as there's only one where there are on average more than one mass shooting incidents per day. Does anyone really believe that without the guns the murder (or suicide) rate wouldn't decrease sharply? If anyone does believe that I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you...

(Don't bother asking what colour that lad's skin was, you already know the answer).

Upvote 0
A 20 y.o. was shot and killed because she and her friends pulled into the wrong driveway. They never got out of the car, they were trying to turn around and leave when a guy walked out and fired 2 shots at them, no one ever uttered a single word, he just shot. By the time they were able to get help it was too late (no cell coverage out there and very very rural). It's a town that is an hour away from me. So incredibly sad what's going on these days. It's gotten crazy...

Upvote 0
You forgot the 6 year old first grader who intentionally shot his teacher with his mother's pistol.

Don't shooting like this happen in the UK?

Very rare. In fact the last time it happened in the UK was 1996, the Dunblane massacre. Most civilians just don't have guns. And in fact it's very hard to legally own a firearm in the UK now, and then you must be a legitimate reason, e.g. hunting. And it's only shotguns and rifles allowed, NO handguns, and NO automatics like AR15, AK47, etc.

BTW it's somewhat rare to see a gun here in China, and then it's only really at the airports with QBZ95 automatics, and cash-in-transit for banks where they have shotguns. Ordinary civilians are not eve allowed to own air-guns. The regular police on the street aren't usually armed. Although all police in Hong Kong are armed from what I've seen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the United States needs to be more like the UK as far as owning and bearing arms.
Now hold on, NRA and others, you have to look at what's happening in the US right now. There's too many thugs and mentally unstable people having access to guns! This is not stopping anytime soon and it'll hit home when a loved one is taken from you because of this crap.
We also need more police presence in the streets, patrolcars and downtown areas.

Upvote 0
Very rare. In fact the last time it happened in the UK was 1996, the Dunblane massacre. Most civilians just don't have guns. And in fact it's very hard to legally own a firearm in the UK now, and then you must be a legitimate reason, e.g. hunting. And it's only shotguns and rifles allowed, NO handguns, and NO automatics like AR15, AK47, etc.
That is an important aspect to all the rampant gun violence occurring here in the U.S. The gun advocates here tend to ignore the plain as day fact that this is a uniquely American problem. And that problem is amplified because grade schools have become a primary target. Elsewhere gun violence is rare event, here in the U.S. almost all school kids now have to go through shooting-avoidance drills. It's become as common as learning how to spell and to count. Gun advocates keep touting more guns for more citizens will fix this, but in reality all the evidence of this is more school mass shootings.
The really sad part is this is only going to get worse -- despite a majortiy of the public demanding real gun reform, the pro-gun lobbyists continue to make sure our Congress is bought and paid to not act responsibly.

Upvote 0
Consider the demographics of the school shootings, lets just address this one segment for now. (the doorbell shooting and the driveway shooters should have been sent to prison end of story)

All have been under the age of 25 years and all have some form of mental instability.

Agreed something needs to be done, not sure if I agree with restriction/punishment of the older stable minds for the inadequacies of an unstable younger one.

Why not attempt to address the root cause instead of putting a band-aid on the boil ?

Upvote 0
It is not illegal for joe honest citizen to own a full auto weapon, just the hoops he must jump through to get the privilege are many, as is the cost.

Any serious dope dealer/criminal/gangstah has one that came from somewhere with no paperwork or exorbitant costs.

We have laws against this yet it happens everyday.

Again what are the common denominators ?

Young people with a long criminal history and drugs and money.

Putting more laws into effect fixes nothing as they do not follow the law !

Only the honest law abiding people will follow any new laws and they will be the only ones affected by it ! ! ! !

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones