• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rename AndroidForums.com to Daily.Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

Galaxy S20 Ultra
News Moderator
Administrator
    Mar 26, 2008
    androidforums.com
    Let's face it: the height of Android excitement is behind us. The smartphone market has matured. New Android announcements just don't hit like they used to... and that's okay. Android will always have a special place in our heart, but as technology enthusiasts, we want and need more.

I'm proposing that we rename Android Forums to The Daily Net, reincarnating our beloved site into a broader community for Tech Enthusiasts. The Daily Net sounds somewhat like an official news source, and that's great- "citizen journalism" on social media platforms like Twitter and Reddit have become the world's most valuable and popular source of content.

"The" is us, as a community, driving the conversation conversation.
    "Daily" suggests there's always a reason to come back and see What's New.
    "Net" gives a tech-centric community network vibe.

We'll still need to figure out how to organize the site and prioritize tech help and support, something on which we've historically thrived.

Desperately want to keep Android Forums? Let me know!
    Have your own idea for a new name? Submit it as a suggestion!

Upvote 0
    Now that I'm me again, and the tmp account can get deleted, I'll say it again: Android Forums now and forever.

TV Guide didn't rename itself "TV and Netflix and DirecTV and other streaming services guide" did they? Car and Driver hasn't renamed itself "Car and Driver and Driverless Vehicles" did it? Times change, but this is still Android Forums. We've always had off-topic sections and we've always welcomed people to discuss broad-ranging topics, not like some sites that force strictly on-topic posts. Why change the name? You can still promote it as a catchall kind of forum, but why erase its heritage?

Upvote 0
    Android Forums, now and forever. :)
    Agree 100% ... Android and more specifically Android Forums and Phandroid were MY ENTIRE LIFE for 10+ years!

But before AndroidForums/Phandroid, I ran a site called Mobile Roar.

Before that I ran a site called VerizonVoyager.org

And before that I ran many other random sites! Times change and we've all gotta change with the times, for better or worse. Rather than watch AF slowly continue to fade into night sky, I'd rather give it a chance to reborn.

We'd still have plenty of Android areas and can rename "Android Discussion" Category to "Android Forums". But I'm also not set in stone on this... could pick a different name or even stick with AF until further notice. Although admittedly, I'd prefer to jumpstart the change

But again, to reiterate, YES: ANDROID FORUMS FOREVER!!!

Upvote 0
    I'll repeat my earlier concern- how are potential new users going to know what the forum is about? The name should be something that is descriptive of the content.
    What is Twitter about? Reddit? The Verge? CNET?

In many ways the content and community itself is the brand. I think we could successfully make the tech focus clear purely based on the content featured and how it's organized. The best domain names used to be 100% literal with focused keywords but that isn't necessarily the case anymore. Maybe a slogan would help make it more clear.

Upvote 0
    There are ALWAYS new Android users, even if the "height of Android excitement is behind us". New users need help from enthusiasts (who know a lot more than the "experts" at tech support). I thought that was the whole idea behind Android Forums: to have a separate forum for every major Android device. Within that forum, owners of that device can exchange tips and information.

I've long welcomed new members with the phrase "learn things, help others, make friends and have fun!" That's how I envisioned AF - as a clearing house of information... of users, by users, and for users, to help everyone master their device.

Why we suddenly need to be a tech "catch-all" is beyond me. We would be chasing every latest gadget & gizmo out there, and that seems like a lot of effort for a huge staff. I don't mind having a link to something like daily.net (which, frankly, sounds like a news site and not a tech site)... but Android Forums still has a huge role to play in helping new users become the enthusiasts we've all become. My 2c and probably not worth that...

Upvote 0
    A lot to unpack here, @The_Chief

(1) Your opinion matters a ton.
    (2) The honest opinions here have already dissuaded me from Early Bird Club
    (3) I agree that The Daily Net sounds "news" focused, but I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. I think the name suggests it's a gathering spot for people to indulge in the latest topics of interest. I think the name "Forums" probably sounds old to most people, like social media 1.0.
    That being said, your point about "a separate forum for every major Android device" make me realize- we have way too much to figure out to be pondering a name change right now. I got excited about the site getting updated, had EBC locked and loaded, and when that got shot down I jumped to my next best idea. Probably a good time to pump the breaks. Not saying we WON'T make this change but yeah... let's keep the discussion open and flowing and see where it leads.

AF started before any Android Devices existed. As new devices were rumored and released, creating a new forum for each made a ton of sense. Then different carriers in different countries had their own brand names and things got messy. Then a zillion different manufacturers started creating random devices in tons of different screen sizes and it got even messier. Then we built the AF Android App which in many ways helped organize forum creation but it also 10X'd the number of forums, divided interest into many slivers, and we were left with hundreds (or thousands) of abandoned forums for little-known devices and variations.

Then an important decision comes: we desperately need to update the software. But with so much custom code and without a full-time dedicated staff it would be impossible to update our software AND keep all the features we had built over the years. Probably a blessing in disguise: as you mention, AF had become a place where "we would be chasing every latest gadget & gizmo out there".

There's got to be a better way to organize and structure the site given today's world of tech. I think we should take a look around at other sites that face our same challenges, see what they do, make note of what we like and what seems to work well, and piece together our own system that leans mostly on the default software... to future proof it. Which is also the reason behind considering a name change with general tech focus (expanding opportunity and future proofing). Putting the cart before the horse a bit, though.

Reiterating that yes, your 2 cents definitely matters, and I appreciate your input!

Upvote 0
    Honestly at this point, the three main variants of Android are Pixel, Samsung, and AOSP variants which most other OEMs (Moto included) stay pretty close to. Rooting is near dead. I think segregating Android conversations at this point is more of a disservice to members than lumping them all, or most, together. At most, Android (OS), devices, and, apps & games. I don't think any of those three forums are going to be so flooded with new threads or posts that they will be untenable. Even the most popular flagships barely create a ripple of speculation or buzz. Same for OTAs.

If there was a way to flag threads as for device or android version with a decent search but have them all exist in a limited number of forums it would be more than enough.

Then we could figure out what additional forums we need.

My $0.02, deposit the change with your local animal shelter.

Upvote 0
    You're making excellent points, @Rob , and they led me to this idea: leave its name as is (@The_Chief has already made the case for this, i.e., there are always new Android users--and users who need help), leave its rich heritage in place, don't try to bury it. But *do* pare it down!! We no longer need 10 billion sub-forums, one for each and every device. Actually, we really don't need ANY [fill-in-the-blank]-specific forum, e.g., mobile service providers. Keep its main Android-related, *general* boards, like Android Lounge or Help, maybe make (if we don't already have one--I haven't looked in eons) a sub-forum for new-to-Android people who need really basic, beginner help. That's it as far as Android goes--anyone with Device X or Brand Y can ask questions and/or offer advice in those 2-3 boards. Keep Off-Topic (please!!!!!), Suggestions, Feedback, and start working on some branches to add to the existing ones.

There could be a generic graphics forum for topics like photo editing or creating animated GIFs; there's no need for one sub for the GIMP, one sub for Photoshop, one sub for...whatever else people use. And a generic computer-related board, but I'd make that require a selection from a drop-down menu, when creating a new thread, to indicate what kind of computer they're posting about, i.e., Linux, Apple, etc. That way the subject will let people skip topics they're not interested in at a glance. A generic wearables forum. A generic smart home forum. A *civil* news-related forum plus a....well, NOT SO civil hot topics-related forum, with an appropriate warning that things get heated in there. A generic health forum, career/work forum, TV, entertainment, food, social media, etc., etc., etc.

This could easily be promoted as the 'new and improved Android Forums!" You know, like "you've known us as THE place to go for all things Android--we still are, but now we're expanding to include other topics, too!"

There's my $0.02!

Upvote 0
    at this point, the three main variants of Android are Pixel, Samsung, and AOSP

This is my line of thinking. A creative mixture of forums, tags, XF2 features, and add-ons should be enough to create something simple and robust that isn't overkill. Need to research, test, evaluate, revise, repeat.

Upvote 0
    image.jpg

Upvote 0
    The login issue is still not fixed.

We're actively trying to resolve. Our move from Xenforo 1.5 to 2.2 was magnitudes larger and more unique than other sites and we're having trouble pinpointing why this is happening. Haven't found others that experienced this specific issue. Trying our best thanks for your patience!

Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones