• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rename AndroidForums.com to Daily.Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

Galaxy S20 Ultra
News Moderator
Administrator
    Mar 26, 2008
    androidforums.com
    Let's face it: the height of Android excitement is behind us. The smartphone market has matured. New Android announcements just don't hit like they used to... and that's okay. Android will always have a special place in our heart, but as technology enthusiasts, we want and need more.

I'm proposing that we rename Android Forums to The Daily Net, reincarnating our beloved site into a broader community for Tech Enthusiasts. The Daily Net sounds somewhat like an official news source, and that's great- "citizen journalism" on social media platforms like Twitter and Reddit have become the world's most valuable and popular source of content.

"The" is us, as a community, driving the conversation conversation.
    "Daily" suggests there's always a reason to come back and see What's New.
    "Net" gives a tech-centric community network vibe.

We'll still need to figure out how to organize the site and prioritize tech help and support, something on which we've historically thrived.

Desperately want to keep Android Forums? Let me know!
    Have your own idea for a new name? Submit it as a suggestion!

Upvote 0
    Reactions: Windroid
    Upvote 0
    I keep coming back to this...

Take a look at how MacRumors has their Community at Forums.MacRumors.Com and TomsGuide has Forums.TomsGuide.com...

I think we could pretty easily move all of AF to a subdomain, for example - forums.daily.net, have the forum power our commenting section, and move forward as a more general interest site that allows our interest to power the topics?

I don't like "forums.daily.net" and would prefer to ditch the "forums" name which people correlate with being old and out of date. Lots of other options like "community" or "post" or "social" or pretty much anything else that would become a subdomain.

Any changes of heart here or strong feelings? One of these days I might just pull the trigger. Not much risk at this point!

Upvote 0
    The only thing I correlate with old and out of date is something like Usenet. But Usenet still exists...and old doesn't mean bad. I wish I knew why so many think old is evil or something. I'm an out of date man myself and love vintage. That doesn't make me any less human.

Just as long as I don't get a 404 error when I naturally type 'androidforums.com' like I have been doing for a long time.

Upvote 0
    do it jewish GIF

Upvote 0
    It's the end of AF as we know it... and I feel fine...

I'm sorry, I'm feeling a bit "in excess" right now...

I like the idea of a wider-reaching domain and all of AF in a subdomain. However, it appears that all of AF was dumped into a blender, set to HIGH for 5 minutes, and poured out into what it is now. I'm also still concerned about the domain name being SO CLOSE to daily.net.

However, the domain techfans.com is available: and I'll bet a $250 offer will snag it. Just sayin'... then we can restore the per-device subforums and everything within AF to a subdomain; bring in the fruit fans in their subdomain; developers and beta testing options; and curated ads to help pay to bills. Just thinking off the cuff here...

Upvote 0
    You know that most very successful businesses usually start out with just a handful of people if not less. Microsoft was started in a garage. Create something better than Apple, Google and Microsoft. You should join forces with Elon Musk's biochip company and create a "smartphone" that's installed in the brain and completely controlled by your thoughts. (of course, there will be bad evil shit that can be put to use by the biochips) There's always 2 sides to a coin.

Reactions: ocnbrze
    Upvote 0
    So, will I have to update my bookmarks and reorient my mind to type in a different URL? Because I don't want to end up 404'd.
    Type the address into a browser a couple of times and it will suggest it to you next time.

I've never bookmarked AF, I also can't remember when I last typed the URL in full: usually "a" is enough for it to autosuggest the rest...

Reactions: Rob and Dannydet
    Upvote 0
    For those wondering how this might look/work:
    • ArsTechnica.com
    • MacRumors.com
    • TomsGuide.com
    Look how the comments are powered by their forums and notice how you can still easily access the forums.

In our case, I'd hope the forum content would be more deeply integrated with the main site, showing related threads and discussions etc...

it appears that all of AF was dumped into a blender, set to HIGH for 5 minutes, and poured out into what it is now.
    Yeah, I was really bummed about the loss of "Channels" and all the data relating device threads to specific phones. We need to solve that for the next iteration but I fear the past connections may be lost. There is still a glimmer of hope but seems doubtful.

techfans.com is available: and I'll bet a $250 offer will snag
    $250 would be a STEAL for techfans.com (and I actually just put in an inquiry), but even then, I still personally prefer daily.net because it gives us unlimited flexibility on coverage/discussion topics. Feel free to suggest additional alternative names, but I'm not sure anything will win me over more than Daily.Net (and everybody hates Early Bird Club lol). Ears are open, though!

So, will I have to update my bookmarks and reorient my mind to type in a different URL? Because I don't want to end up 404'd.
    Nope... AndroidForums.com and all related links will ALWAYS send you to the proper related place on whatever new domain we pick.

Can we rename this thread to whatever it's going to be called, just to give us all a heads up?
    Haven't officially decided on a name yet... Daily.net is the front runner but the "forum" part will likely be:
    • forums.daily.net
    • daily.net/forums
    • community.daily.net
    • daily.net/community
    • post.daily.net
    • daily.net/post
    • etc...
    Something like that...

Whatever and whenever it changes, you'll be automatically redirected, but regardless I will make sure that you are made aware!

You know that most very successful businesses usually start out with just a handful of people if not less. Microsoft was started in a garage. Create something better than Apple, Google and Microsoft.
    Nokia started as a paper mill and they've sold everything from paper towels to car tires. There's nothing wrong with re-inventing yourself!!!!

You should join forces with Elon Musk's biochip company and create a "smartphone" that's installed in the brain and completely controlled by your thoughts.
    Reminds me of a Shark Tank episode where the guy wanted to physically install bluetooth chips in people's ears so they didn't need headphones. You would have to plug your head in to recharge each night when you sleep lol...

Honestly, I saw some mind blowing eye-tracking stuff at CES 10+ years ago and have wondered where some of this kind of spookily good stuff has gone. Just waiting and waiting for the right timing and implementations. No doubt that the next 10 years of tech is going to be NUTS with AI and all that stuff.

That being said, I could never and would never partner with Elon Musk, based purely on the way he treats people. I respect his talents and vision, and at this point would still buy his company's products (Cybertruck looks dope!), but his antics are inching me closer and closer to rage quit Twitter and everything else he touches.

Define "general interest site".

I'd think of it in terms of mashing together AF, Reddit, and a traditional "News" site without all the annoying ads and spammy bullshit. The "news" will never go away... we'll give people a place to talk about whatever they want, while talking about the stuff that WE want in articles.

I'd target 3 initial general topics:
    • Tech
    • Sports
    • Local
    The success of AF was largely in discussing specific PRODUCTS in tech, so we'll want to reorient our content and forums/organization accordingly (I assume).

Happy to explain my thinking on Sports and Local, but really, my goal would be to build a news and discussion site that I'd want to visit every day because of how it's easy to use, has the primary info I want without all the crap, and a bustling community so I can share thoughts and get feedback.

I'm on a train right now and will have limited access to internet this weekend, but my mind will be racing as usual with ideas. Eager and curious to continue reading your feedback and excited that there is less pushback now than before....

Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones