• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Check it out - Chat with our staff :)

Early Bird. WHAT IF I LIKE TO SLEEP IN? (Steven runs)
Laughing Out Loud Lol GIF by Studios 2016

Upvote 0
does anyone know how to turn those level up notifications off?

I really don't know what the admins were trying to accomplish but this forum has become so much worse since the 'redesign' and it's getting even worse. Constantly moving the cheese around infuriates me. Just leave it alone

They've singlehandedly succeeded in running off a lot of well-loved members from here, and I'm about to join them if somehing doesn't improve.

Upvote 0
I would but I've become accustomed to seeing the little bell light up and naturally expect it to be important, and it's just this crap. It's not like this on MacRumours, so why is it a thing here? Also, can't some mod or admin just make it a disable-able feature? I hate it for the same reason I've always despised Android's notification clutter. At least on Android there's apps like Buzzkill and Nova launcher that disable the status bar entirely.

Upvote 0
I have always hated achievements since Xbox 360. Served no pratical purpose whatsoever, but that might just be my old school mindset. I might be in my 40s biologically but having been raised by my great grandparents as a kid, my brain is like that of a 90 plus year old.
While I agree that some things are pointless, or worthless to me, I've long since learned that the little things, like an unwanted notification, are better ignored than obsessed over. There sure is a lot of other crap in the world to get worked up over that truly impact my life.

Upvote 0
you are an admin. Instead of using justifications and telling me to 'ignore it' why not solve the issue here? whenever the little bell lights up I naturally assume it's important and end up finding out instead it's another useless one. After some time it becomes grating. I'm not the complacent type. If something bothers me I do something about it. If not, well, this forum is ruined anyway. I get used to doing things a certain way and when that changes without my say in it I refuse to just adapt. I fight it.

Upvote 0
you are an admin. Instead of using justifications and telling me to 'ignore it' why not solve the issue here? whenever the little bell lights up I naturally assume it's important and end up finding out instead it's another useless one. After some time it becomes grating. I'm not the complacent type. If something bothers me I do something about it. If not, well, this forum is ruined anyway. I get used to doing things a certain way and when that changes without my say in it I refuse to just adapt. I fight it.
Click your profile picture on the top right, choose preferences on the list on the left, and at the bottom you can turn off the alert. Nice forum software lets each person choose their own experience. You can turn off any other things that annoy you too. :)
1701627871461.png

Reactions: ironass and AugieTN
as stated before, there is no setting to turn off 'you have reached level xx' in those options. I already made sure to only tick those options for replies, likes, and such that I find important and disabled those I do not. I still get those 'you have reached level xx' crap. these are vastly different from achievements which I did manage to turn off, these seem un-disable-able.

Nice forum software doesn't add in useless and annoying things called 'features'. it doesn't change for change's sake. I preferred this forum when it ran on vBulletin. I barely tolerated its transition to Xen foro, but now it's even worse. it is constantly reorganizing links and making it totally frustrating to deal with. worse yet is like I have stated many times to be made fun of, NOBODY ASKED FOR THIS. whatever happened to supply/demand economics?

I don't like CrApple at all, but at least MacRumours doesn't change at the drop of a hat. even when they, too, transitioned to Xenforo, they maintained the same layout/skin as the previous software. they also have a classic section for PowerPC era Macs. where is the section here for retro computing or older Android versions? another thing MacRumours doesn't have? annoying notifications that are more fitting for a video game. just another solution in search of a problem like everything made since 2014.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
as stated before, there is no setting to turn off 'you have reached level xx' in those options
1701630138932.png

I'm not going to argue with you about this. :) If the forum isn't for you, you don't have to log in. This place is focused on cutting edge technology, not clinging to buggy whips.

That is already disabled. the 'you have reached level xx' is not an achievement notification. And as per usual the futurist rhetoric seems to be if you disagree with a useless feature that serves no purpose whatsoever, you automatically have to go back to the 19th century for some reason. There's nothing wrong with admitting that newer is not always better, you know. I shouldn't have to disregard all the good progress just because I disagree with change for change's sake.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones